Date and place of birth: 01.10.1955, Moscow region, Russia
1974-1979 – State Hydrometeorological Institute, Odessa, Ukraine, M.Sc. in Hydrology
1981-1985 – State Hydrometeorological Institute, Odessa, Ukraine, Ph.D. in Hydrology
1993-1995 – Water Problems Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia, Doctor of Technical Sciences in Hydrology
Since 1993 – Water Problems Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow:
§ Senior Research Scientist (1993-2000),
§ Head of the Laboratory of Surface Water Modeling (since 2000)
§ Acting Deputy Director at Water Problems Institute (2007-2015),
1981-1992 – Production & Research Institute for Engineering Construction Survey, Moscow
Senior Scientist, Developer of the Federal Construction Standards and Regulations in Engineering Hydrology
Member of scientific committees and societies:
- International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS). Since 1999 to 2012 – a National Representative in IAHS,
- ICOLD Russian national committee,
- Russian geographical society,
- Russian ecological academy,
- Russian national committee for IHP.
Member of the editorial board of scientific journals:
- Russian Meteorology and hydrology (in Russian and English),
- Water resources (in Russian and English),
- Hydrometeorological Research and Forecasting (in Russian)
- Water sector of Russia: problems, technologies, management (in Russian).
Member of the Joint Russian-Chinese Commission on the Management and Protection of Transboundary Waters
Dr. Bolgov is a Professor at the Geographical Department of Lomonosov Moscow State University (Hydrology Chair, part time).
Dr. Bolgov is a Scientific Secretary of the Scientific Council for the Federal Agency of Water Resources (Russian Ministry of Natural Resources).
Dr. Bolgov is a specialist in the field of regularities of hydrometeorological processes and phenomena and development of methods for their modeling, forecasting and management. The most difficult problem of modern hydrometeorology is runoff estimation and forecasting in the conditions of the uncertainty of climate changes. In the Bayesian ideology of estimation and forecasting, Dr. Bolgov proposed and developed a method for the water resources assessment, taking into account the non-stationary character and uncertainty of the forecast of climatic changes.
Dr. Bolgov was the scientific leader of many projects. Among them there are:
• Co-director, NATO ARW "Stochastic models of hydrological processes and their application to the problems of environmental preservation” Moscow, 1998.
• EU project: “Interstate water resources risk management: towards a sustainable future for the Aral Sea basin” 2006-2009
• Water Strategy of the Russian Federation for 2020, 2010.
• Investigation and factors of the dangerous hydrological situation on 6-7 July 2012 in the Krasnodar region, 2012.
• Russia-China project “Investigation of the factors and damages after extreme flood on the Amur River in 2013, 2015”.
• Analysis of the water resources formation in the Baikal Lake watershed during an extreme low-flow period, 2016
• Investigation and factors of the dangerous hydrological situation in July 2019 in the Irkutsk region, 2019.