EDUCATION AND DEGREES:
Dr.Sci.(Geography), Land Hydrology and Water Resources, Institute of Geography SB RAS, Irkutsk, 2005
Senior Researcher, Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute, Vladivostok, 1996
Ph.D., Land Hydrology and Water Resources, Institute of Geography SB RAS, Irkutsk, 1994
M.Sc., with Honors and Distinction, Hydrology Engineering, Far Eastern State University, Vladivostok, 1984
QUALIFICATION AND SPECIALIZATION:
Land Hydrology, Water Resources, Riverbed Processes
· Flood Forecasting and Calculation
· Modeling of Water Balance and Riverbed Processes in the River Systems
· Hydrometeorological Risk Analysis
· Processing of Hydrological Monitoring Data
· Management of Environmental Impact Assessment
Regulatory and Permitting
More than 100 expert judgements on civil-engineering designs in the Far Eastern region, Russia
Baseline Data Analysis
· Ecological company of Sakhalin. - Results of ecological research under the project Sakhalin 1 in 2001 - 2003.
Environmental Impact Assessment
· FERHRI - Land hydrology part of Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Protection TEOC of the project Sakhalin I, stage 1. – 2002, 2003.
Research Project Management and Co-management
· National Science Council of Taiwan and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research - River network pattern and watersheds morphology within the north-west part of the Pacific seismic belt – 2010;
· Austrian Exchange Service and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Extremal dynamics and sustainability of river systems under climatic and landscape changes – 2006;
· National Science Council of Taiwan - Modeling dynamic river systems under extreme floods in different landscapes of monsoon climate zone – 2005;
· Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research - Statistical Properties of Flood Runoff of North Euroasia Rivers under Conditions of Climate Change - 2001;
· MacArthur Foundation – Dynamics of Riverbed Process in Conditions of Economic Development of Valleys of the Small and Middle Rivers of the South of Russian Far East Region – 2000.
· Russian Science Foundation - Development of methods for long-term forecasting of the danger and scale of extreme hydrological phenomena in the rivers of the Amur River Basin, 2016-2018.
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - River systems dynamic within weather-climatic cycles of different scales, 2011-2013.
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Regional database of international standard CUASHI HIS for hydrological research, 2011 – 2013.
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Dynamic of river systems and water resources in the Amur River Basin under the climate changes and human activity impact – 2009
· JSC RusHydro - Components of automatic forecasting system of water inflow to the Bureya reservoir during warm season - 2008
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Theoretical basis and prototype of a regional hydrological model – 2008
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Modern models and methods of analysis of river systems – 2008
· Bureyskaya HPP - Automatic method of short-time forecasting of water inflow to the Bureya reservoir during warm season – 2007
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Extremal aspects of structure-function relations in river systems – 2004
· Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute - Automatic Technology of Operative Hydrological Monitoring Data Processing - 2002
· Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences - Threshold effects at extreme floods formation and stability of landscape-hydrological systems – 2002.
· Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute - Automatic short-time forecast technology of rain floods hydrograph (for the Khor river basin as an example) – 2001
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Threshold Effects at Extreme Runoff Formation and Stability of Landscape-Hydrological Systems in Varying Climate Conditions – 2001;
· Russian Foundation for Basic Research - Flood Cycle of a Small River Basin in the Monsoon Climate Zone – 1998;
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Improve Methods of a Complex Estimation and Mapping of the Risk connected to Floods, Stochastic Estimations of Damage caused by them - 1998
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Develop the Automated Methods of Forecasts of Rain Floods on the Rivers of Peter the Great Bay Basin and Ussuri River Basin - 1998
· Governor of Primorskiy Kray – Flood Cycle Model of a Small River Basin, Primorye -1996
· Goverment of Primorskiy Kray - Cartographical Division of Territory of the South of Primorski Krai on a Degree of Risk of Flooding and Water-Erosive Processes Influence during Floods - 1995
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Improve Methods of Calculations and Forecasts of Catastrophic Floods Characteristics in the Far East and Estimations of Damage caused by them - 1995
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - Scientific and Technical Program for Creating an Information System of Flood Forecasting and People Warning in the Primorskiy Kray - 1995
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Develop a Complex of New Methods of Calculation of the Basic Hydrological Characteristics - 1993
· Russian State Committee of Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring - To Develop Methods of Calculations and Forecasts of Catastrophic Floods Characteristics in the South of the Far East – 1993
· Primorskiy Sovet of People’s Deputies – Long-term Program the Natural Resources Conservation and their Rational Use in Primorskiy Kray, Water-Economic Complex - 1992
Supervision and Co-supervision of:
· 1 Dr.Sci-thesis confirmed at the Pacific Institute of Geography SB RAS, Vladivostok, Russia
· 4 PhD-thesises confirmed at the Institute of Geography SB RAS, Irkutsk, Russia
· 1 PhD-thesis confirmed at Russian State Hydrometeorological University, St.-Petersburg, Russia
· 1 Ms-thesis confirmed at Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
· 2 Ms-thesises confirmed at the University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands
· 3 post-graduation students at the Pacific Institute of Geography SB RAS, Vladivostok, Russia
2018 - current Head of Flood Hydrology Lab, Water Problems Institute RAS, Moscow
2016 - 2018 Leading Researcher, Water Problems Institute RAS, Moscow
2005 - 2015 Head of Laboratory of Hydrology and Climatology, Pacific Institute of Geography, FEB RAS, Vladivostok
2004 - 2005 Leading Researcher, Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok
1997 – 2003 Senior Researcher, Pacific Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok
1990 - 1997 Head of the Dept. of Hydrological Studies, Far Eastern Regional Hydrometeorological Research Institute, Vladivostok.
1987 -1989 Junior Researcher at the Dept. of Forest, Soil-Biological Institute FEB RAS, Vladivostok.
1986 -1987 Junior Researcher at the Lab. of Small Rivers, Far Eastern Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Land Improvement, Vladivostok.
1984 -1986 Senior Hydrologist at the Far Eastern Trust of Building Engineering Investigations, Khabarovsk
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
· Member of the International Association of Hydrological Sciences
· Corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Water Management Sciences
· Leader of the working group 18 within the Prediction in Ungauged Basins (PUB) initiative of the International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
• Huang P.C., Lee K.T., Gartsman B.I. Influence of topographic characteristics on the adaptive time interval for diffusion wave simulation // Water (Switzerland). 2019. Т. 11. № 3. С. 431.
• Gartsman B.I., Lupakov S.Yu. Changes in the maximum runoff regime in the Ussuri river basin: the methodological aspects of forecasting based on dynamic-stochastic simulation // Water Resources. 2018. Т. 45. № S1. С. S79-S89.
• Bugaets A., Gartsman B., Gelfan A., Motovilov Y., Gonchukov L., Kalugin A., Moreido V., Suchilina Z., Fingert E., Sokolov O. // The integrated system of hydrological forecasting in the Ussuri river basin based on the ECOMAG model // Geosciences (Switzerland). 2018. Т. 8. № 1. С. 5.
• B.I.Gartsman, V.V.Shamov. Field studies of runoff formation in the far east region based on modern observational instruments // Water Resources, 2015, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 766-775
• B.I.Gartsman, L.I.Mezentseva, N.Y.Popova, O.V.Sokolov, T.S.Menovshchikova. Conditions of generation of extremely high water content of Primorye rivers in autumn-winter 2012 // Russian Meteorology and Hydrology. 2014. V. 39. Iss. 4. Pp. 260-270.
• B.I.Gartsman. Flood Cycle Model - new approach for extraordinary floods prediction / Horizons in Earth Science Research. Volume 9. B. Veress and J. Szigethy ed. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
NY, USA. 2013
• B.I.Gartsman. Analysis of geomorphological conditions for primary streams formation using digital elevation models // Geography and Natural Resources. January 2013, Vol. 34, Is.1, pp 69-78
• B.I.Gartsman, L.M. Korytny, E.A.Ilyichyova. Chapter 11.4 An index approach to mapping of annual runoff in Siberian catchment, Russia / Runoff prediction in ungauged basins - Synthesis across processes, places and scales. Cambridge University Press, 2013. Cambridge, UK
• B.I.Gartsman, Structural-hydrographic and morphometric analysis of river systems: Theoretical aspects // Geography and Natural Resources. 2011. Vol. 32, Num. 3, 226-234, DOI: 10.1134/S1875372811030048
• T.S.Gubareva, B.I.Gartsman. Estimating Distribution Parameters of Extreme Hydrometeorological Characteristics by L-Moments Method // Water Resources, 2010, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 437-443
• Gartsman, B., van Nooijen, R, Kolechkina, A. Implementation issues for total risk calculation for groups of sites // Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C. Vol. 34, Iss. 10-12, 2009, Pp. 619-625
• Lee K.T., Chen N.C., Gartsman B.I. Impact of stream network structure on the transition break of peak flows // Journal of Hydrology, 2009, vol. 367, iss. 3-4, pp. 283-292
• K. T. Lee, N. K. Cheng, B. I. Gartsman and A. N. Bugayets. A current version of the model of a unit hydrograph and its use in Taiwan and Russia // Geography and Natural Resources 30 (2009) 79–85
• B. I. Gartsman, A. N. Bugayets, N. D. Tegai, and S. M. Krasnopeyev. Analysis of the structure of river systems and the prospects for modeling hydrological processes // Geography and Natural Resources 29 (2008) 116–123
• N.-C., Chen, K. T., Lee, B.I., Gartsman. Relationship between peak discharge and watershed area in nested watersheds // Journal of Taiwan Water Conservancy. Vol. 56. No. 4. 2008. Pp. 28-39 (In Chinese)
• N.-C., Chen, K. T., Lee, B.I., Gartsman. Applications of Flood Cycle Model for Daily Flow Simulating in Different Climatic Areas // Journal of Taiwan Water Conservancy. Vol. 56. No. 2. 2008. Pp. 1-13 (In Chinese)
• B. I. Gartsman, T. S. Gubareva. Forecast of the Rainfall Flood Hydrograph on the Far East Rivers // Russian Meteorology and Hydrology, Vol. 32, No. 5, 2007.
• L.M.Korytny, B.I.Gartsman, N.V.Kichigina, T.S.Gubareva. Heavy rain floods in the Far East and Eastern Siberia / Extreme Hydrological Events: New Concepts for Security. Nato Science Series: IV: Earth and Environmental Sciences. Springer-Verlag. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York. 2007. p. 125-135.
• T.S.Gubareva, B.I.Gartsman. Flood discharges estimation in the Amur Basin: alternative approach and spatial relations / Flood, from Defence to management. 2005. Taylor & Francis Group, London. ISBN 0 415 38050 2, P.195-204
• B.I.Gartsman. Non-local exceeding frequency as probabilistic characteristic of events in spatial-distributed hydrological systems / ISSH - Stochastic Hydraulics 2005 - 23 and 24 May 2005 - Nijmegen - The Netherlands
• M.Karasyov, B.Gartsman. About principles of regional analysis of riverbed processes in small and middle rivers and its antropogenic dynamic // Geomorphology. № 2. 2002. Pp. 10-16. (in Russ)
• B.Gartsman & M.Karasyov. Short-time flood forecast methodology using a hydro-meteorological risk concept for flood plains / Early Warning Systems for Natural Disaster Reduction. Springer-Verlag. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York. 2001. Р. 251-255.
• B.I.Gartsman. Runoff counter-regulation phenomenon in flood cycle model of small river basin // Geography & Natural Resources. N. 2. 2001. P. 142-149. (in Russ)
• B.Gartsman, M.Karasyov, L.A.Stepanenko. Risk mapping of flood and water-erosion processes development within valleys of monsoon zone rivers: methodical and application aspects // Water Resources. №1. 2000. pp.13-20.