Head of the Group, PhD, Dr. Habil. in Technical Sciences
Main scientific activities and results of research:
· Theoretical and experimental research of water objects oxygen regime (lakes, reservoirs, rivers). The influence of hydro-physical and hydro-biological factors on the oxygen regime of pools and watercourses is identified. The effects of different oil films on the gas exchange between the atmosphere and water are studied. The scheme of hypertrophic lake pneumatic aeration was designed and realised, which allowed to quell the process of algal bloom and eliminate summer fish kill.
· Investigating the oxygen regime of the Northern Dvina basin rivers on the basis of field observations and calculations using mathematical models. The impact of waste water from plants on the dynamics of the dissolved oxygen is assessed.
· Developing methods of calculating the contamination spread in water objects.
A model complex was designed, based on the equations of dynamics and mass transfer. The spread of heavy metals, oil hydrocarbons in European Russia’s rivers (the Northern Dvina, Volga) was calculated.
· Studying the processes of heavy metal transfer and accumulation on the Lower Volga.
A number of patterns of accumulating heavy metal in sediments was identified. The conclusions are made on the basis of analyzing a lot of experimental material collected during long-term expeditionary investigations.
· Researching mass exchange processes on the border “water - sediments”.
The laboratory experiments demonstrated that the existence of macrobenthos organisms in sediments leads to a significant rise in the intensity of mass transfer (2-3 times higher). In the presence of macrobenthos, physical-mathematical properties of sediment change noticeably, which can make the erosion speed 3 times lower.
· Studying the geochemical state of the Caspian Sea.
It was found that sediments around the continental slope of the middle part of the Caspian Sea can be the source of the sea water secondary contamination. The conclusions were made on the basis of researching the spatial distribution of manganese and lead in pore water.
· Investigating hydrological and hydro-biological characteristics of the Ivankovskoye and Mozhayskoye reservoirs. Researching the production and destruction processes on the basis of fieldwork and mathematical modelling.
A three-dimensional hydrodynamic model describing the dynamics of currents, thermic regime and mass transfer processes was developed. The model takes into account changes in the intensity of production and destruction processes under the influence of climatic factors.